CONGRATULATIONS - You are all AWESOME!
Over 16,000 Letters from 124 Senior Centers and Programs Sent to Governor Cuomo Opposing Cut Closing 65 NYC Senior Centers
We Need Your Help to Keep Fighting!
NEED THOUSANDS OF CALLS, CALLS, CALLS TO YOUR STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBERS AND SENATORS!
KEEP SENDING LETTERS TO GOVERNOR CUOMO FROM SENIORS WHO HAVEN’T SENT THEM YET!
JOIN THE MOVEMENT - GO, GO, GO!
What is Happening:
- The Governor had until February 16 to remove the troubling Title XX language that would affect NYC senior centers in the state budget – but he did not remove it, leaving at least 65 centers at risk.
- NYC will lose $17 million in Title XX funds, forcing 65 senior centers to close in virtually every Assembly and Senate district. 6,000 seniors per day would lose their local senior center, 1.5 million meals per year will be lost. There will be 24,000 of lost hours of case work assistance for benefits, housing and other needs. In addition, the 2017-18 State Executive Budget contained $13 million to the State Office for the Aging.
- The budget now moves to the Assembly and Senate to work out the final details. The final budget is typically passed in mid/late March.
What You Can Do:
- HOLD A PRESS CONFERENCE WITH YOUR STATE ASSEMBLY MEMBERS AND SENATORS. Many press conferences have already happened around the city. Legislators are in their city office on Thursdays and Fridays. Call them at the district office to invite them. Elected official and senior center can invite media. Talk about the Title XX issue and the need for aging services in the final budget. Send photos and links to media coverage to email@example.com and we will put them on our website.
- Click here for LiveOn NY’s Budget Response. Click here for the full state budget priorities agenda. Print out and give them a copy of the documents. Ask them for their help on these issues and thank them for their support.
- Ask seniors/staff to call their Assembly Member and Senator to ask for support in the budget for senior centers and programs. Call Albany or local office. The message is:
Don't let my senior center close. Restore Title XX Funds. Thank you for your support of seniors.
No dejes que mi centro de ancianos cierre. Reponga los fondos del título XX. Gracias por su apoyo a ancianos.
告訴他們 : 不要關閉我們的老人中心. 重新恢復 XX預算. 感謝您對耆老們的支持!
- Arrange a meeting with your State Assembly Member and Senator to talk about your program and the need for funding in more detail.
- Keep Sending Letters to the Governor: If seniors at your program haven’t already sent letters – please do so now. We need thousands more to tell him to allow Title XX funds to be used for senior centers so they don't close. Click here for instructions and the model letter which is in English, Chinese and Spanish. Mail the letters directly to the Governor and let us know how many you sent (see instructions)
- Email Andrea at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know of the events you are holding, meetings you have and key relationships you have developed with legislators so we can continue to build a supportive network
How to Find your State Legislators
- Click here to find your New York State Assembly Member
- Click here to find your New York State Senator
Thank you for your support!
|PLAN TO ATTEND
City Council Committee on Aging Budget Hearing
Monday, March 13, 2017 10:00am at City Hall
We need hundreds of Seniors to fill up the Chambers. You can register to testify at the hearing if you want. Please arrive around 9:15am to get through security and find seats. Wear shirts and hats with the name of your senior center!
More information to follow! See ya there!