Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle showed concerned over Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s proposal to redirect funds from adult care to child care services.

By: Josefa Velasquez
Wednesday, 8 February 2017
Publication & Publisher: Politico New York

 

Lawmakers on both sides of the aisle showed concerned over Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s proposal to redirect funds from adult care to child care services.

At a joint legislative budget hearing on human services on Wednesday morning, Sen. Cathy Young, the head of the finance committee in the Republican-led Senate, and Democratic Assemblywoman Donna Lupardo, told the acting commissioner of the Office of Children and Family Services that the cost shifting proposal could leave counties on the hook for funding adult care services if the governor’s proposal were enacted.

“There’s concern that with this redirection. It does amount to an unexpected cost on their side, an unfunded mandate,” said Lupardo, the chair of the committee on aging.

OCFS Acting Commissioner Sheila Poole responded that the agency “will work with any county to figure out what other potential funding streams.”

Sen. Liz Krueger, a Democrat from Manhattan, questioned whether the cost shift was necessary given that there’s less demand for child care for four-year-olds now that they’re eligible for universal pre-kindergarten.

"This needs to be reversed in the budget," Krueger said.

Earlier this week POLITICO New York reported Cuomo plan for federal funds could blow hole in city’s budget for seniors that Cuomo’s executive budget proposal would redirect Title XX funds — also referred to as the Social Services Block Grant, a capped entitlement program from the federal government — to be used only for child care services.

The cost shift, which the Cuomo administration says will not amount to funding cuts or reduction in services, could blow a hole in to the budget of the New York City Department for the Aging, possibly leading to more than 60 senior centers shuttering.