Join LiveOn NY as we recognize:
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Thursday June 15, 2017
World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) was launched by the International Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse and the World Health Organization at the United Nations. The purpose of WEAAD is to provide an opportunity for communities around the world to promote a better understanding of abuse and neglect of older persons by raising awareness of the cultural, social, economic and demographic processes affecting elder abuse and neglect.
LiveOn NY joins efforts in New York and nationwide on Thursday June 15, 2017 to recognize World Elder Abuse Awareness Day. See below for information, resources and ideas on how you can be part of the efforts to support victims and service providers, as well as be part of the solution to address this problem.
- World Elder Abuse Awareness Day Website: run through the USC Center on Elder Mistreatment, this informative site includes toolkits, banners, signs, events in your community and more.
- Connect with the NYPD in your community on June 15: Click here to see where the NYPD Domestic Violence Unit Chief and Officers will be citywide on June 15 as part of their community outreach efforts on elder abuse. Staff and volunteers from LiveOn NY's Senior Medicare Patrol program will also join the NYPD at many of these precinct outreach events on June 15 - we hope to see you there citywide!
- Connect with the DFTA Elder Abuse services provider in your borough to learn about services and training. Borough-based elder abuse services providers can be found on DFTA’s website by clicking here or dialing 311 and asking for help with elder abuse in your borough.
- Click here to print out the poster form the New York City Department for the Aging (DFTA) and display and distribute it so others can learn about how to report elder abuse and connect to resources through 311.
- Learn about the Senior Medicare Patrol: The New York Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) is part of a nationwide education and assistance program working to empower seniors and caregivers to prevent, detect, and report Medicare fraud and waste. You can report suspected problems to SMP hotline at 1-877-678-4697. LiveOn NY’s staff and trained volunteers work to correct errors and report abuse of the Medicare system to government authorities. Click here to learn more.
- Attend the JASA 12th Annual NYC Elder Abuse Conference, which takes place onWednesday June 14, 2017 and feature keynote speaker Liz Loewy, General Counsel at EverSafe; Pioneering Legal Expert, Author and Lecturer in the field of Elder Justice. Click here for the full agenda and to register today.
- Visit LiveOn NY's Elder Abuse Resources page for links to research and advocacy news year round.
Have an event or resource you'd like to add? Let Andrea know at email@example.com.