What is Happening:
This week, the Governor released his proposed 2017-2018 Executive Budget. Below is a brief update. Please stay tuned for more details as they become available and how you can get involved. Of note:
- Over $13 million in cuts and cost shifts affecting the State Office for the Aging (SOFA).
- Proposed language that threatens Title XX Funds that are used to fund senior centers.
- Last time this was proposed several years ago, upwards of 100 senior centers would have been closed if the proposal went through. LiveOn NY was part of concerted effort to fight it then, and we will do so again vigilantly.
- Language to prevent financial exploitation of older adults, an issue LiveOn NY has been working on for several years.
- The addition of $125M in capital funding for affordable senior housing, another key issue for LiveOn NY.
What We Are Doing:
Leaders from LiveOn NY, The Association on Aging in New York and LifeSpan will meet with key Senators and Assemblymembers on February 7 in Albany to discuss the potential impact of the proposed budget and the the importance of fully funding aging services. We will also highlight our $177 Million Multi-Year Budget Request. The goal of our request focuses on modernizing long term care services and supports for older New Yorkers. Click here to review our budget proposal.
What You Can Do:
- Join LiveOn NY in Albany on Tuesday February 7 and meet with your legislators to discuss your program and the Aging Services Budget Request. If you are planning on going to Albany, please contact Andrea Cianfrani at LiveOn NY at email@example.com or 212-398-6565x233 so we can measure our impact and provide you with information and talking points for your meetings.
- Set up meetings in February with your state legislators in the district offices to discuss your aging programs. We are counting on your help and It is important to meet with your legislators this year to be part of LiveOn NY’s presentation of the budget agenda. We will be providing talking points and questions to ask your legislators - stay tuned.
- Call your legislators’ offices and tell them to support aging services and to prevent cuts, and send them the link to the budget ask.
- Invite legislators to your program in February so they can see your important work and the need for funding and why any cuts would be so devastating..
- Let LiveOn NY know of the events you are holding, meetings you have and key relationships you have developed with legislators or who are supportive of aging programs so we can continue to build a supportive network. Contact Andrea Cianfrani at LiveOn NY at firstname.lastname@example.org or 212-398-6565x233
How to find information on your legislators:
Click here to find your New York State Assemblymember
Click here to find your New York State Senator